<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Ivory Coast 3

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Ivory Coast 3, originally uploaded by Departure Lounge.

The cheif of tievopleu II, a village in western Ivory Coast. 2000





It's kind of funny actually.
I was traveling in western Ivory Coast, close to the Liberian boarder, visiting refugees from the war in Liberia (this was in 2000, before the war in Ivory Coast sent all those same refugees (and many Ivoirians as well) back across the boarder into Libieria).

Anyway, I had been invited to spend a couple of nights in a small village south of Danane (the town where I had been staying) and when I arrived in the village, the first thing I had to go was go and meet the cheif of the village.
Now, it was about 1 in the afternoon and it was hot and humid and hazy and I wasn't too keen on shooting very much right away, especially out in the open when I assumed the overhead sun would make for some pretty nasty light. But the cheif asked me to take his picture. So I did. I got in pretty close and shot a couple of frames (this is pretty close to the original crop, just made square) and then didn't think about it again until I got back to Abidjan and had all my film developed.

It's one of my favorite images from the entire year that I spent in the Ivory Coast, and when I shot it I thought it was going to be crap. The funny thing is that the next day I shot a bunch more photos of him sitting on a little veranda that I thought were going to be great.

And they were crap!

(needless to say, I've learned a lot more about light since then).

4/06/2005 08:34:00 AM :: ::
2 Comments:
  • What a great site » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 PM  
  • You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it here

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

João :: permalink